Friday, November 7, 2008

Life Flows On

The pits and I spent the day yesterday snuggled up in a blanket, watching TV and being total vegetables. Just getting used to life without Ripley. I used to be a chow mom with two rescued pit bulls. Now I am a pit bull mom. That's just how it feels. But being the sort of person who is used to adversity...we were back on track today, Ripley still an ache in my heart, but the pits need me.

So in spite of a very nasty blustery day, we were off early to see the delivery of a bunch of brown trout to the big lake. The other day 200 rainbow trout arrived, but we missed that. I love seeing the trout...normally destined to fish farms and such, they get to live wild and free and only run the danger of poachers. They were really happy and started eating immediately and joined the rest of the fish crew.


Grow big and strong little guys! I guess I will be feeding you every day for awhile to get you ready for winter.

The rainbows are all full of eggs and ready to spawn, and the fish guy told us how to set up a breeding area for them so they can hatch their eggs successfully. Some rainbows breed in the spring and some in the fall.

It was the first outing for us since Ripley died and it was a little strange to just have two dogs running about. I am so happy I have them though, we are all set with our little pack and it would have been hard losing Ripley without them so well adjusted to my life. Right now it all seems a perfect fit and manageable. But I thought maybe Ripley was still with me there in spirit, sniffing the wind and off on her own explores. If such a thing can be, I am sure she would.


Do not grieve for me when I die,
for I am still here.
I will be in the towering trees of the forest.
I will be in the flowers of the meadow.
I will be in the rain falling softly to earth.
I will be in the breath of a breeze on a summer day.
I will be in the reflections in the still waters.
I will be in the rustle of fall leaves.
I will be in the light of the sun and the glow of the moon.
I will be with the earth forever.

And she is.

No comments: