Tuesday, January 20, 2009

To be 18 again...

It is a bit of a stretch to say the weather was warmer when it hit a frosty 18 degrees during our walk, but it was an improvement over some of the past few days when even the dogs were in no great hurry to spend anymore time outdoors than they absolutely had to.

As the pits seemed to becoming adjusted to lives as couch potatoes, a walk was a priority today. I am always amazed at how the bare canopy in the forest reveals so many disconnected lines, branches not attached to anything, trees that end several feet from the ground. I always keep that in mind on windy days.


The dogs were impatient and anxious to be on their way.


I was glad the snow slowed them down a bit so I could shoot a few pictures to remember the snows of January.


The winds have almost stripped the forest clean and only the most entrapped leaves remain.


All along the trail there were little burrows dug beneath the snow.


The snow has never lasted for so long and so deep for these little hidie holes to become abundant.


The trail is worn down in a narrow track by the deer and other animals which makes walking difficult. I have to walk one foot in front of the other, much like the original peoples who once followed these trails in search of deer.


The sound of chickadees can now be heard in the forest and the faint sounds of woodpeckers in a neverending quest for grubs hidden in the trees.


All along the trail, strange signs and portents written in a language I cannot translate.


The lake is frozen solid and strange tracks run along the shorelines that look as though the rabbits have been out cross country skiing.


The dogs instinctively avoid the ice beyond the shoreline. The middle of the lake has no tracks...perhaps the animals know when the ice is safe or not.


Domino has no trouble with footing as he careens down the steeper trail only to disappear up some sheer climb in search of doggy adventures.


The only thing growing in the forest right now is the ever resilient lichen.


We were soon all frozen and I had to stop every minute or so to thaw out my fingers. The temperatures seemed to drop with the sun.


The rays of the setting sun lit small areas of the forest with a red light.


Domino wasn't the only one enjoying mad dashes through the snow, Charm gave it her best shot.


Overhead the light began to stream beyond the trees and we all hurried to catch it.


And finally were able to catch my favorite shot of the day.


The dogs were pleased with an outing and Domino thanked me several times in "bully" language which consists of happy grunts and gracious kisses. I don't think there is a moment that goes by that I am not so pleased with my "unwanted shelter dogs". They are really a great pair of dogs. They are such a pleasure to live with. Days like today remind me that any dog you choose to take a chance on can be a great dog...you just have to take the time and energy to be a good owner. I just love my pits!

No comments: