Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Joy of February

After waking up to the very uncomfortable sensation of Fable, the kitten from hell, pulling out my hair strand by strand, both the dogs and me were anxious to get outdoors to enjoy the gorgeous weather. The dogs hit the trail in full speed!


And I was perplexed by my camera which has suffered from too little use after January's cold temps.


What a joy to have February enter with some sun.


We startled a red-tailed hawk on our walk and I only caught a flash of his tail in the trees.


Other than a myriad of tracks we did not spot what he was hunting.


Everything smelled refreshingly clean and crisp and the wind blew away the remnants of cabin fever.


We were all able to venture off the trail and explore.


The forest is still stark and empty, but a feeling of wakefulness has replaced the sleepy mood of January.


Deer droppings and tracks littered the trails. Here and there tufts of deer hair as the growing hours of daylight prompts the beginning of spring shedding.


On a rock above the ice, I can see the tracks of those who have ventured out.


With the snow solidly settled and little ice on the trails, we decide to venture up the trail to the top of the cliffs.


Even the less colorful rocks of this quarry looking painted in the light.


If one is observant, there is always color in the forest.


We stop for a quick shot from the top as a reward for our climb.


Up here the rocks have soaked in the warmth of the sun and created ledges of snow.


Charm is caught up in smelling all the tracks along the trail, curious stories that only her nose can read and I am ignorant of.


The setting sun turns ice into diamonds.


Charm and Domino venture onto the edge of the ice when we finally descend and then debate whether they want to climb rocks.


But soon they are back on the trail, stopping often to urge me on.


The woods are so full of deer trails right now that the dogs have to stop and check out each one.


The trails run like nature's highways between the trees.


Domino pays attention and sticks close to us, trotting along in Domino style.


Domino has really come into his own the last few months. He is truly one of the most wonderful dogs to live with. He is so respectful and kind and steady. He has always been a good dog, but now he is most content when sprawled in my lap, watching TV, grunting bully dog grunts of contentment.


He's grown a lot too. Mostly maturing and filling out into his true pittie self. Of all the dogs I have ever known, I trust Domino the most. Whether it's playing with a kitten or playing tug, Domino is the most gentle soul I know. I recently taught him the command "gentle drop". He knows "drop", but gentle drop is for playing fetch - his new favorite all round game. But gentle drop is a fetch without any tugging - which we all know is a pittie's favorite game.


Charm has learned a new trick. It's called "help me". If I am sitting I say "help me" and she comes and crouches so I can grab her collar and she pulls me up. Never know, it might come in useful some day. Smart dogs, those two.


So, a well-enjoyed walk with both dogs yodeling their happiness when we got home. For whatever reason, they have both learned to yodel when they are pleased with something I do. Charm started it and Domino picked it up. But when Domino does it...that is one loud yodel! I think I have gained more insight into the intelligence of dogs in the short time I have spent with pits than during my entire life. They are amazing dogs and it is no wonder that the people who share their lives with them fight so hard for them.

No comments: