Saturday, October 18, 2008

Single Leaves, Puffs and Thoughts

Today, as buffeted and disjointed as it appeared to be, didn't stop us from setting out, with determination, on our walk. With firm admonishments to the dogs to leave the neighbor's cats in peace, which they did, we were able to enjoy the prettiest time of day.


My photography has been a bit more thoughtful lately.


I often wonder when we set out, what there will be that stops me in my tracks. Sometimes it's just an odd sort of color and whether the shot turned out or not, it's just about the color.


But, as many days as I have walked in the forest, I have never been berefit of subjects.


I have proven to myself, at least, that a lifetime in a forest is not long enough to see everything.


And things, once seen, are forever changing.


It is often as though the sun highlights points of interest and one need only keep their eyes open.


And perhaps I have never been able to capture that sense of wonder I feel.


I have shot this scene a hundred times and it is never the same twice.


Every living thing cycles through a million transformations.


What was brilliant today is forgotten tomorrow in the cycle of change.


Sometimes there are things so zen-like, for a moment I am plummeted into questions so deep they send ripples across the lake.


Over the years, the forest has built a sort of nameless emotion in me.


A sense of my natural being which is like air.


For every day I have left my worries behind and walked through the forest with an open heart, it has rewarded me with moments of awe.


Rainbows of color more radiant than silk.


The dogs ramble along with me and we are interconnected by threads of consciousness.


Ripley following dutifully at my heels while Charm ranges ahead and Domino dashes back and forth with an anxious "are you coming, are you coming?"


The camera never catches the wind or the smells.


It captures moments but not movement.


Fragile moments which are so transitory that no two bear any resemblance to another.


Coming home we stopped to get a shot of the gazebo in the park.


And the turning trees in front of one of the historic victorian homes.


And of course, the halloween decorations appearing.


The walk in the woods always colors the drive home, but I seldom stop to capture that part and I should.

No comments: