Friday, October 10, 2008

Oh the dance

I know life is too hectic when I start misplacing dogs. I left Ripley on the stairs because I didn't notice she didn't come in with the others, and I called Charm "Domino" at least 5 times. Fatigue is setting in.


So anxious pups and I were off on a walk even though a nap sounded like a good idea.


Its a dance in the forest. It has numerous steps I have learned along the way.


There the walk, short flat-footed steps to make sure I don't kill myself stepping on something while I have my eye in the viewfinder.


There's the pause after standing up too fast after shooting something on the ground.


There's the one legged lean aside...good for avoiding dogs barreling up and down the trail.


And of course that move that I do to make sure I don't forget I am standing on a cliff and don't step backwards.


There's the quick sidestep when I hear Domino panting behind me as he barrels by.


And that little spin when Ripley is walking on my heels and I need to stop to snap a shot.


One must sway sometimes to follow things dancing in the breeze.


And that stop in midstep when you realize you might startle your next shot.


The rise and fall from shot to shot.


And the weave which allows you to pass through the weeds without setting them in motion.


The crouch is used often to stabilize a shot.


And myriads of other moves all designed to move in harmony with dogs, camera and nature.


There's timing and rhythm.


Waiting for the wind to subside.


And knowing which things are worth one shot and which need 5 or 6.


There's the "maybe that will turn out" shots.


And "that shot never turns out" shots.


Its not just about clicking the shutter for me...its a thought process with no end goal.


And sometimes half way through an idea hits me and I try to follow it through with images.


I never know how successful the story will be.


Or if anyone but me understands it or grasps the idea.


The goal is to keep telling the story.
"Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see." - CS Lewis

No comments: