Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Some days approach perfection

Today could have been one...a day so close to perfection that anywhere it fell short is irrelevant. We started off on our walk and ahead of us deer wandered. Charm woofed once and I told her to be quiet so Domino wasn't distracted and the deer stayed off to the side of us during our entire walk...they just matched their pace with ours and for once I forgot I was carrying a camera.


Add to that the true luxury of a trail spread with dry leaves instead of snow and all of us were captivated by the change.


While dogs wandered ahead of me and deer to the side of me and a warm wind blew around all of us...we just seemed to plunge into a zone where everything was in sync.


Domino watered every single tree in the forest while Charm and I walked with very light steps, held up by the smell of things emerging from the snow.


Water lay on top of the ice and Charm just had to check out if that meant it was time to start swimming yet. I had to collect both her and Domino off of the ice because they were so excited to see water again.


They both kept looking at me like I had just given them the biggest presents in the world...I never knew the dogs could be as tired of snow as I was.


Overhead geese streamed by and the occasional crow flying by on important business.


The trail leading up was entirely clear and soon we were off for a climb.


Domino seemed content to wait for us and I think he wanted to enjoy the weather with us more than usual.


It was so warm even a light jacket was a burden and the dogs spent a good amount of time rolling in leaves and investigating everything revealed by the melting snow.


Down below I had snapped a shot of a deer track frozen in ice.


Up above it seemed the same track was echoed in stone.


Domino was the best he has ever been on a walk and he got lots of rewards!


It was so beautiful that we wandered quite a bit just enjoying the break in the weather.


And greeting familiar sights.


Happy to see anything besides snow.


Continuity jotted all over the landscape in little memos.


If it had been earlier in the day I would have regretted not planning a picnic on the rocks.


I wonder if people who live where there is no winter appreciate the spring half so much?


A small cocoon dangled awaiting its own spring alarms.


Owl feathers line the trails this time of year.


Domino took one short side trip and I wandered after him and then I saw a shape high up in the pine trees and finally...I caught the owl with the camera! So beautiful and so like a flying cat.


What a perfect thing on a perfect day that was so close to being perfect, our owl sighting made it complete.

No comments: