Saturday, March 14, 2009

Whirlwinds of details

Life has been pretty busy since I have taken on a decorating job which is massive and includes everything from shingle and siding colors to floor coverings and moldings. Between work and meetings with contractors and suppliers...the last part of winter has almost disappeared in a whirlwind. So after a stop to check on the progress and confirm some details in my mind, it was a good day to take a walk. Even though the dogs liked taking a tour of the progress, they were more than ready to be out on the trail.


I had two reasons to linger on our walk. One was the fact that I got a new, bigger hard drive for my computer so I have more room for pictures and the second was the pleasant and warm temperatures...very welcome after a stretch of sleet, snow and ice. Here and there some buds were making an appearance.


I always love when the buds begin appearing because there are endless ways that leaves unfold in spring.


Every spring I am just as surprised as the first spring.


I wasn't the only one enjoying the warmer temperatures today. The dogs were ecstatic and wild with happiness.


Through the trees there were the first sounds of birds returning and the sun seemed to wash through everything like a breath of fresh air.


A few days ago a wind storm had swept through and there were many fallen trees and the last branches over burdened with clinging fall leaves finally tumbled to the forest floor.


The forest has served as an color inspiration for my decorating job and as I walk I take mental notes.


It's never about how something looks in the moment, it is about how light changes things from minute to minute.


My inspiration sometimes comes from the oddest things and when I connect the two...I am sometimes surprised by the connection.


It is an organic process for me, for sure.


That is sort of how I look at the world, all interwoven with nothing too disconnected.


Domino comes back from time to time to see if he has earned a treat which of course he has!


The brittle corpse of a spider sits beside its web. Has it kept sentry all winter over its new batch of baby spiders?


It is so pretty at the lake that we all just linger to enjoy a beautiful day and some sunshine.


And the view so pretty and the rocks now bare enough to sit and enjoy the view for a long, peaceful while.


From atop my perch I can admire the abstract designs created by the leaves in the ice.


Ice that seems to be decomposing rather than melting, becoming rough and pock marked.


Along the edge the ground is clear because the rocks generate so much heat.


Charm joins me to enjoy the view as well, her nose going a mile a minute as she reads every little note carried by the wind.


Domino hurries to catch up as we turn for the walk back.


Which of course leads to a bout of play sparked by high spirits.


Always the tongues and ears flying!


And mad races down the trail with snow flying.


While I follow behind stopping here and there.


The dogs are both finally winded and the treat bag is almost empty as we follow deer tracks through the trees.


After navigating mud to get to the car, both dogs are ready for home with tongues hanging out a mile and muddy feet are soon cleaned up. With promises for more warm days to come, I am hoping that we are finally have the bend that turns into spring ahead of us.

Springtime is the land awakening. The March winds are the morning yawn. ~Quoted by Lewis Grizzard in Kathy Sue Loudermilk, I Love You

No comments: