Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Adventures in training...

Sometimes people ask me...what if this dog doesn't like that dog or this dog doesn't like cats? It always baffles me. It's been a long while since I have considered that problem. I think sometimes it is the attitude you go into it with. I always go into it with no doubt it will work itself out and it does. So when I decided that Fable was going to be a part of a pit bull pack...it just took some patience, some common sense and a fair amount of over-protectiveness.

So after a couple of weeks of work, Fable has joined the pack, and is well on her way to being yet another cat totally capable of holding her own and setting herself up as boss. Considering she came into the equation at around a pound...its an accomplishment.


My dogs have been acclimated to cats, but the adult variety. And a pound of running jumping fluff was a totally different story. Especially for Domino, who has spent most of his time with Fable around huddling next to me on the couch or drooling over the sight of kitten dashing by.


I knew if Charm was calm and fine, eventually he would be too. So the past couple of weeks have been spent teaching Charm how to treat a kitten. Even how to share toys.


Now Fable and Domino are able to sit together and watch TV.


Charm doesn't mind the occasional attacks on her nose.


She has developed a tolerance to kitten antics.


Which is fortunate since Fable has not one iota of fear.


Now all three are happy to share a loveseat.


Though Domino is still a little unsure of why cats are always trying to kiss him.


Fable just spends her time trying to sit more like a pit bull.


And I think she has actually learned to do a pretty good impression!


All three in total harmony, my black and white vision fulfilled. I remember the Dog Whisperer saying, it is not how strong you are when you talk about controlling a powerful dog...because even a tiny cat can control a pack. So true, so true. Fable may only weigh a couple pounds, but she has total control over the pits. Now if I could only get her to stop climbing up my leg to play on the keyboard...

No comments: