Sunday, December 28, 2008

The merriest weekend ever!

Oh my gosh...what a Christmas! I was surprised with some things beyond my imagination so spent last night snuggled up with Charm, Domino and Fable on our new sectional watching our new HD projector on the big screen...is this a dream? Was it ever awesome! And then today the sun came out and the temperatures were bearable and so we were off on a walk after some blustery days indoors!


I had my macro lens and Marja had loaded me up with some cool filters, so I popped on the ultra violet filter to check out what it did.


What a happy day for all three of us, playing in the snow.


It was beyond heavenly to be out in the forest and watching the dogs play and dig and sniff after all the storms.


I was even thrilled that my car had plowed right through the drifts to get there!


And excited to see my filter capturing the bright blue skies which often escape the camera in the forest.


It's not very often life is totally perfect, but it was today.


Even Domino was listening very well and sticking close instead of searching for mice.


The trail was well worn by the forest creatures, tracks scooting off in every direction leaving behind mysteries for us to unravel.


In some places the water dripped with soft plops as the sun warmed the branches.


I thought of that time, long ago it seems when I sat and read Walden and how in the course of a summer the forest all made sense.


When moments stretch into eternity and one becomes part of the hum that is the life of the forest.


Winter becomes less a season and more a state of being. I wondered a moment at this fallen leaf which seemed to be painted.


But for a long time I have learned to just treasure the moments of wonder for what they are.


I think the biggest treasure on earth sometimes is the light. We take it for granted but it paints everything.


Overhead the trees groaned and moaned as they shed their blankets of snow filling the forest with voices.


The dogs paused now and then to listen to the sound of the shifting trees...and then would be off in a mad dash, their wonder forgotten.


Flying down the trail towards me with ears flying.


Domino's alligator grin huffing along like a freight train.


And just when collision seemed imminent...


They would veer aside and soon be far up the trail behind me.


While I pondered familiar things in new ways.


Struck here and there by the glow the sun cast.


And the somber and stark beauty of the forest in winter.


The cold forgotten and the crunch of our passing disturbed not a thing.


Chilled dogs were happy to be approaching the car and were eager to get back into the warmth, but happy to have shed the doldrums of all the blizzards and rain and ice which kept us out of the forest this past week. I don't know of any better way to clear the cobwebs than to be out on a sunny winter day. I don't believe it but if every day was like today...I would live in the snow forever!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The beauty is surreal - the photography spectacular and the subjects awesome - it struck a cord in my heart - that made me want to be a part of that day! awesome shoot and beautiful outcome...