Sunday, April 19, 2009

Back in the Wisconsin Woods

It is so good to be home that I didn't even mind the grey skies. Puppies anxious to be out after a week at home were more than happy to enjoy one of those not too spectacular days in Wisconsin.



I have to admit, growing up in a part of the world where the sun was a rare thing...I do have a special connection to those grey misty days.



Though light in the forest was a precious commodity.



What a joy to see things emerging, the entire forest coming to life.



I was out of practice and forgot the dog treats but Charm and Domino seemed content to run back for a pat on the head and a "good dog" almost as frequently.

We startled two pairs of wood ducks on the lake...I managed to snap a picture of three before they whirred away.



I love the tone of the forest on dark days...it is so quiet because the sounds that usually drift through from town are gone because no one ventures out but me and the dogs.



The jingle of dog tags on the trail and the occasional splashing of Domino or Charm in the lake is the only sound.



The light isn't there to guide me from picture to picture so I have to be more creative.



The evergreen trees were brown with thousands of little buds, their own peculiar way of flowering.



Watching my step along the rocks where crevices drop in between, I spent some time leaning out to try to snap the flowering branches.



Stopping to check the progress of the lilacs.



And tiny green leaves beginning to appear everywhere.



With plenty of the dry and brown still in control of the landscape.



And the tiniest of flowers seeming to be the boldest.



We had spotted the remains of a rabbit along the way and bird feathers abounded...it seems the owl has been a very busy hunter.



For the first time, ferns are taking hold on the edge of the lake and I hope they will continue undisturbed.



Today, for some reason, the sun brought out the colors of the stone along the upper lake.



I admonished Domino to stop barking at ground hogs in the boulders and went in search of the owl and finally spotted him directly over the trail and the remains of the rabbit. He seems to have gotten used to having his picture taken.



By then the forest was dark and full of shadows but I wanted to get one shot of the bushes beginning to bloom...



The first drops of rain began to fall as we headed home and the puppies, soaking wet from their swims still hate being in the rain...its a mystery to me how that happens. So dripping dogs soon were safe but very definitely soggy and on their way home with tails wagging.

No comments: