Thursday, April 9, 2009

Shelter Dogs: Hidden Treasures

My brother and I have this conversation on a regular basis, about how people are always asking about where we got our dogs. In his case, it usually goes something like "what a cute dog, where did you get him?" Our conversation usually ends up with my brother saying something to the effect that they can find a dog like his exactly where he did, in a rescue or a shelter.

My brother has rescued several jack russells over the years. Buddy had been rehomed many times and always returned for behavior issues... too active. Buddy has long since ceased being a dog and has been referred to as a "kid" for some time. Someone's behavior problem is another's treasure.



My brother's point is whether it is a dog someone gave up on or in the case of Petey, a dog so filthy and pitiful looking that he had to visit the groomer on the trip home, there are treasures in the shelter. All you have to do is polish them up a bit.

In my case, I am always writing about the adventures of my dogs. Like Charm. Stories of swimming or her feats on the agility course. But once upon a time she was just a picture on petfinder like millions of other dogs. Her name was Ruby then and it always tears at my heart to see a reminder of the days before she was my dog.



"Well...." I've heard people say. "What happens if I adopt a dog and I don't know anything about its past and it has problems?" I have taken that leap of faith and adopted a dog I had never met when I adopted Domino.



Another smiing face on petfinder who came with no guarantees and was welcomed with my willingness to make it work. That's all it really takes, a look inside yourself to discover what you are capable of. I never second guessed my decision or my determination.

I never asked the important questions; are they housebroken, do they bark nonstop? When I asked if Charm had an issue with cats, they opened the door to the cat room for a moment, let her poke her head in and said "Nope...no problem with cats." I followed my heart and my heart was right.

My honest belief is that when it comes to dogs, it is the human in charge who determines behavior. My dogs were both housebroken within a week, boundaries were established in regards to the cats and my senior dog...and we moved forward to establish a happy home with no regrets over my decisions. There's no chewing, no nonstop barking, no issues aside from two highly exuberant dogs.

I don't propose you don't do your homework. I have a lot of experience with dogs and am confident in my ability to handle powerful breeds. My point being that there are no bad dogs really. There are just inexperienced owners. And there are a lot of truly great dogs with great potential sitting in a shelter waiting for someone to give them a chance to shine.

These days there is so much a shelter or rescue can do to match someone up to the perfect dog for them. Temperament testing, exposure to other animals and people and even options to introduce existing pets to a potential match. And with the advent of so many accessible training options, none of the misconceptions which used to exist about shelter dogs holds much water.

For all of us who make the choice to adopt, there is an added bonus that only adopters experience...shelter and rescue dogs seem to know that you saved them, and they bring with them a boundless love and gratitude and a willingness to please. They never seem to forget that you chose them, even though I suspect that in some ways, they choose us.

Every day I spend some time on petfinder, and I know each and every one of those faces is an undiscovered treasure just waiting for the right person to come along. For every one fortunate to find that someone, I hope someone is stopping them on their walks and saying "What a great dog, where did you get him?" And their human can just smile and think, I found this treasure at the shelter.

Some dogs may have long pedigrees and distinguished bloodlines, but my dogs have papers too...adoption papers, and I think those are the best kind. I am proud to say all of the dogs in my family have the same papers...that's the sort of pedigree I can be proud of!

No comments: