Saturday, April 25, 2009

Dancing in the rain

With morning dawning with dull gray skies and sporadic rain, I had no real intention of venturing out. But an early excursion viewing the lake from a whole different angle and very bemused by the ancient stone walls and perspective...I was anxious to pick up the puppies and get back out for a walk.



For as most dog owners know, there is a major difference between " going out" in the rain and a walk in the rain.



I did vow to leave the puppies at home some time so that I could do a little exploring along the boundaries, which is fascinating in itself.



But today they were happy to be out, rain and all.



I have been having a bit of a camera malfunction and I am not sure what the problem is, so I spent a little time trying to sort that out.



Domino was a good boy and did not even get excited when a deer bounded across his path. A simple "no chase cats" brought him galloping to my side looking for treats.



It sort of goes to show that dogs don't care so much about the actual words as the concept.



Raindrops abounded and odd things emerging from the trees.



The dogs were ahead of me and I could hear the sound of wood ducks taking flight before the lake came in view.



I was totally surprised to discover that the wood ducks had left behind a single egg sitting on the worst, most vulnerable spot on the lake...the dogs' swimming spot, trespasser's fishing spot, wild animals' drinking spot....



I carefully touched it to make sure it was theirs and it was warm. It's a pity, because even though I cautioned the dogs away...it is a target for all the other dangers, from owls to people.



Sometimes ducks leave their eggs in odd places before they begin sitting on them, hopefully that was the case. Because there are so many safer spots to make a nest.



We hurried on our way so that the ducks could return.



The water a deep green under the cloudy skies.



The very distant sounds of thunder interrupting the quiet from time to time.



Just happy to be out in the rain with dogs not so intent on swimming.



And the junipers already sporting berries.



Or perhaps still carrying them from last year...And old man willow glowing on the opposite shore.



It's all changing quickly now.



And I am glad that circumstances dragged me out on a day I might have skipped.



Puppies playing and wrestling all along the trail.



Domino convinced that every hole holds an elusive groundhog.



The rain washing the air clean.



Preparing the forest for that headlong rush into green.



The puppies were happy to be on their way, shaking out damp coats as though they had enough of the rain. Me too.

No comments: