Thursday, April 30, 2009

New leaves, turkey vultures and bog swimming

Just click the battery in the camera and both dogs come running, ready for an adventure. Take out a leash and they look at me like I'm the biggest disappointment on earth.



I was as anxious as they were to get out after a morning of pouring rain and even a fire in the wood stove to burn off the morning chill. The afternoon arrived with warm temperatures and even some blue skies.



I was hoping some mushrooms might have popped up in the rain, but not a one to be seen. I had to be content with a forest popping up green all over.



Super sonic dogs flying up and down the trail and even forgetting to pause long enough for treats.



I continued to document a forest which sometimes seems smaller by the day as the power company cleared a lot of brush along their easement and noises drift in.



It took me sometime to realize there was a new sound in the forest...the sound of guns from the trap club on the edge of town. It filled the forest with unease.



Another new sound was the emerging drone of mosquitoes, though none bothered me along the way. They just were an annoyance. Charm was soon swimming in the lake.



I sat on a rock and watched the turkey vultures sunning on the cliff up above. First one took off and two more appeared and stretched their wings in the sun. They took off one by one...beautiful as they circled for altitude.



They will always be my favorites.



We waited until they had all took to the air before continuing with our hike.



Watching the clouds drift away and the sun grow brighter. There were times I had to stop and think, because the moments were so wordless.



Just wrapped up in the same zone as the forest where things drift into one's senses and a feeling that I might have forgotten something and it is sitting there on a tip of my mind and then I realize I have been thinking nothing for a very long time.



Things become ageless and brand new at the same time.



The forest as familiar as my own livingroom and every little thing out of place noted. Like the strange shadow a bug casts as he sits in a folded leaf.



Domino peers over the edge and he hunkers himself down into a squat shape. So I thought this was a good picture for my dad, who says Domino might be getting a little chunky. But if he lost weight he might fall forward on his head! That's one big head, Domino!



Maybe the feeling is just spring. It seems like when spring appears...the forest picks up business right where it left off in the fall. Everything bustling on its way as though winter was just an interruption



The ants are already hard at work.



The view is taking on more and more tones of green.



Things appearing that seem new to me.



Buds appearing with fall leaves.



Leaves sprouting in the midst of last year's berries.



The bog is so flooded that Domino is almost swimming...almost but not quite.



Even Charm opts for a swim in the bog.



I stop and listen to the frogs and try to track one down. I finally realize that they are calling from in the water and the water ripples whenever they croak. And though its not a good picture...its the first frog. Shot between branches and across the way.



A walk turns into a long walk. And the thing on the tip of my mind finally comes clear and I realize its time...we had forgotten it along the way and it comes rushing back with the falling light. I guess that's what that means...I lost the time...

No comments: